Monday, May 19, 2014

Clumpy Maple Almond Granola

I've been called granola before. My own husband calls me half-a-hippie. I don't really consider it an insult...ESPECIALLY if it's associated with this granola recipe.  Because this granola is delicious, melt-in-your-mouth crunchy awesomeness and has lots of clumps. Okay, maybe I don't want to be associated with clumps.

I don't know about you, but I'm a clump seeker.  I'll shake the container, eat all the big clumps and put it back in the cupboard.  Some people like granola to be like sand in an hourglass and flow into their bowl, but not me.  So I made this granola to be as clumpy as possible!





Besides, if you're going to make granola yourself (which I have to say is dead easy-why wouldn't you?), shouldn't you make it EXACTLY how you like it?

Sometimes I like dried fruit in my granola...but not today.  Today I wanted it to be mainly clumps of oat-y goodness. You can add whatever dried fruit you want to this granola after it's all said and done if you'd like.

Ingredients:
2 cups oats (not steel cut)
1 cup barley flakes
1 tbsp each wheat germ and oat bran
1 cup raw almonds, chopped
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/2 cup pepitas (fancy for pumpkin seeds)
1/2 cup sunflower seeds
1/2 cup unsweetened coconut
3/4 cup real maple syrup
3 tbsp natural peanut/almond butter
1/2 cup coconut oil, melted
1 egg white
A smattering of bee pollen, barberries, hemp seeds and maple flakes


Preheat the oven to 325.
Throw all the dry ingredients into a bowl except the smatterings. Mix it up!
In a measuring cup, melt the coconut oil and add the peanut butter and maple syrup. Add it to the dry ingredients and blend.


Now comes my favourite part.  If you're not a clumpy person (like I am), you don't need to add the egg white. Or if you're vegan...you probably don't want it either. BUT if you like the chunks of granola, here is where the magic happens.

Whisk the egg white in a separate bowl until really fluffy. Add to the mix and carefully stir together.  Don't over mix! Just combine.


Now this is why granola couldn't be easier.  Place on a parchment covered baking sheet and put into the oven.  Don't touch it for 45 minutes or until it's all golden and delicious looking and your entire house smells AWESOME.  You'll be tempted, but don't do it. When it comes out of the oven, leave it alone.


Leave it...and then once it's cooled a bit, add the smatterings (or whatever personal smatterings you have in your cupboard) and then you can break it up into whatever size chunks you would like.  I've added chocolate before at this point and it's delicious too. This will keep in an airtight container for...well, mine's been good for a couple of weeks.  If you can make it last that long! Enjoy with berries, greek yogurt, with milk or just as a snack.


Granola!  Who knew right? So easy you'll never buy it again. Oh-and this makes a LOT so you can share. Makes a nice unexpected gift for someone in a mason jar. Everyone likes granola...so call me what you want! I'm ok with it.


No comments:

Post a Comment