Monday, May 5, 2014

The Not-So-Nasty Frosty

Summer is coming.  I know it is.  The calendar says so, and I want to believe it.
So very badly.

With Summer comes delicious chilled beverages and desserts.  Melty delicious frozen ice cream desserts. The only problem with these heavenly sweet treats is they are filled with fat and sugar!  As much as I love them(and I do treat myself from time to time with a REAL ice cream), summer is not the time to pack on the pounds. But it IS the time to indulge.  And on a hot summer day at the beach, there is nothing like ice cream.


Of course you can go to a fast food establishment such and get some yummy ice cream-like frozen dessert. And it'll taste good. But you know deep down there's nothing good in it for you. Tasty emptiness.  Why not have a treat that also treats your body?

Here's where I come in! My homemade frosty-like treat.  But this one has barely any fat, way less sugar (no refined sugar) and probiotics...um...score? You bet!

There's no reason you can't satisfy your sweet tooth and give your body what it's craving too!

Ingredients:

1 cup 0% plain greek yogurt
1 tsp vanilla
2 tbsp cocoa
2 tbsp real maple syrup
1/2 cup milk of your choice
2 tbsp plain kefir

Blend it all up (I used my magic bullet) and then pour it into an ice cream maker.  We have an old school one that you need to crank yourself.  A few turns and there you go! A treat that you don't need to feel guilty about and it's delectably delightful.


If you don't happen to have an ice cream maker, that's ok. All you need to do it let the mixture freeze (I'd put it in a big shallow container so it freezes faster) and then pulverize the chunks in a blender.  Eat immediately! Not too fast-you don't want an ice cream headache.  Those are the worst.  And they really ruin the entire experience, don't you think?

This will make enough for two.  Easily doubled, but not in a magic bullet-need the blender for that.
Or I suppose if you're like ME...enough for one...and a decadent night in front of a guilty pleasure TV show when your kids are in bed so you don't have to share.  Oh come on, we all do it.

Well, there you go!  Don't forget this one in the middle of the summer.  You could even freeze some of this recipe in ice cube trays and have it ready to blend at a moment's notice.

Ahhh Summer...I can taste it already! So can our dog...just waiting for me to drop some.  Not this time Tucker...




No comments:

Post a Comment